Your Dog Ate A Mouse? Here Is What You Should Do

Dogs have an innate curiosity, and it’s not uncommon for them to eat things that are not ideal for their health. One such instance is when they eat a mouse. While it is natural for dogs to hunt rodents, it’s important to know that it poses a risk to their health. In this guide, we will discuss what to do if your dog eats a mouse, the potential risks, and preventive measures to keep your dog safe.

Understanding the Risks

There are several risks associated with a dog eating a mouse, including disease transmission, parasites, and toxins.

Disease transmission

Mice can carry several diseases that can be transmitted to your dog, including:


Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that can cause kidney and liver failure. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.


Salmonellosis is a bacterial infection that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and fever. While most healthy dogs can fight off the infection, it can be severe in young puppies or dogs with weakened immune systems.


Hantavirus is a viral infection that can cause respiratory distress and fever. While it’s rare for dogs to contract this virus, it’s important to monitor for symptoms if your dog has eaten a mouse.

Other potential diseases

Mice can also carry other diseases, such as rat-bite fever, tularemia, and plague.


Mice can carry parasites that can infect your dog, including:


Tapeworms are intestinal parasites that can cause weight loss, vomiting, and diarrhea.


Roundworms are intestinal parasites that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and a potbellied appearance.

Other parasites

Mice can also carry other parasites, such as fleas and ticks, which can transmit diseases to your dog.

Toxins and Poisons

Mice can consume toxins and poisons, which can be harmful to your dog if ingested.

Poisoned mouse

If the mouse has ingested poison, it can transfer to your dog, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures.

Bacterial toxins

Mice can also carry bacteria that produce toxins, such as Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism in dogs.


Immediate Actions to Take

If you suspect that your dog has eaten a mouse, there are immediate actions you need to take.

Assessing the situation

The first step is to assess the situation and determine if the mouse was poisoned. If you have set up rodenticides, it’s essential to ensure that your dog did not eat a poisoned mouse.

Contacting a veterinarian

Contact your veterinarian immediately for professional advice. They will be able to provide necessary information and guide you on the next steps.

Monitoring your dog

Watch your dog for signs of illness, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Note any changes in behavior or appetite and report them to your veterinarian.

Veterinary Intervention and Treatment

Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination and recommend diagnostic tests to determine the extent of the problem.

Diagnostic tests

Diagnostic tests may include a physical examination, blood tests, fecal tests, and X-rays or ultrasounds if necessary.

Treatment options

The treatment options will depend on the severity of the situation. The vet may recommend one or more of the following:

Inducing vomiting

Inducing vomiting may be necessary if your dog has recently ingested the mouse. However, this should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian.

Activated charcoal

Activated charcoal can be used to absorb toxins and help prevent further absorption.

De-worming medication

De-worming medication may be prescribed to address any parasitic infection.

Antibiotics or antiviral medications

Antibiotics or antiviral medications may be prescribed to address any bacterial or viral infections.

Supportive care

Supportive care, such as fluids and pain relief, may be provided to alleviate symptoms and promote the healing process.

Prevention Strategies

Prevention is key to avoiding such situations in the future. Here are some preventive measures you can take.

Keeping your yard clean

Keeping your yard clean is essential to prevent rodents from inhabiting the area. Some tips include:

  • Regularly removing debris and waste
  • Sealing off potential rodent habitats, such as holes or crevices

Pest control

Pest control can help keep rodents away. However, it’s important to use safe and dog-friendly methods. If the infestation is severe, seeking professional help is recommended.

Training your dog

Training your dog on the “leave it” command can help prevent them from consuming things they shouldn’t. Supervising your dog during walks and outdoor playtime can also help prevent such situations.

Regular check-ups

Regular veterinary check-ups are essential to maintain your dog’s health. This includes staying up-to-date with vaccinations and parasite prevention.


In conclusion, if your dog eats a mouse, it’s essential to take immediate action and seek professional help. Understanding the risks associated with such situations and implementing preventive measures can help keep your dog safe. As responsible pet owners, we have a duty to ensure our furry friends are healthy and happy.


  • Nathan Collins

    Having spent years working in the landscaping industry, Nathan Collins has cultivated a wealth of knowledge about the natural world. He is committed to helping others appreciate the beauty in their backyards, whether it's through identifying rare rocks and minerals or crafting the perfect landscape.

Leave a Reply