Help! My Dog Ate a Frog: What Should I Do Now?

You’re in a scary situation. Your dog just ate a frog and you’re worried sick for the safety of your pet. So let’s not waste any time with an intro and let’s get right to it!

Here are the answers to all the questions you have right now. 

The Dangers of a Dog Eating a Frog

Is It Safe for My Dog to Eat a Frog?

This is one of the main questions on your mind, right? Well, you’re not alone. Many dog owners have asked themselves this same question and the answer is that it depends.

On what? Two things:

  1. The type of frog your dog swallowed — while some frogs are poisonous, others are not.
  2. If your dog has any pre-existing medical conditions that might make it unsafe for him to eat particular frogs.

So the best course of action for you is to take your dog to a veteran for a check-up. If instead of visiting a veteran in person you decide to call them first, tell them about the breed of your dog, the type of frog they swallowed, and any other piece of information that either you think is important or your vet particularly asks for. 

Can a Dead Frog Hurt a Dog?

Yes, if the frog was a poisonous breed, then you’re dog is at serious risk.

Furthermore, even if your dog eats a frog that’s not a poisonous breed, there’s still the possibility that it might get hurt. For instance, the frog could be stuck somewhere inside your pet’s mouth or throat. If you believe that’s the case with your dog, don’t try to take out the frog with force because this could be just as dangerous for them as swallowing the amphibian was in the first place.

So instead of taking any risks, rush your pet to a veterinarian immediately.

They might perform an X-ray to see if they can spot the frog or give your dog some medication that will help it pass through their system without causing any damage in the process.

If you don’t know what kind of frog your dog swallowed, make sure to ask the vet about this too because there are many types that are harmless and others that can kill a dog.

To sum up this answer, yes, a dead frog can be a serious threat to your dog even if it’s not poisonous. So if your dog ate an amphibian, don’ try to fix the problem by yourself. Instead, take your pet to a vet as soon as possible. 

Are All Frogs Toxic to Dogs?

No, not all frogs are toxic to dogs. However, the vast majority of them secrete toxins from the glands in their skin. So if your dog eats them, they are highly likely to experience symptoms that may range from mild to severe. 

Can Green Tree Frogs Kill Dogs?

Do you live in the central or southeastern parts of the United States? If you do, then you may have spotted green tree fogs during your dog walks. 

In case your dog has swallowed a green tree frog, then you should know there’s nothing to worry about. Green tree frogs secrete only a small amount of toxins that don’t cause any serious effects. At worst, your dog might have a minor irritation, simple gastrointestinal issue, or another small side effect that’s nothing to worry about.

Are Toads Harmful to Dogs?

Yes, toads are in fact even more dangerous than frogs.

That’s because while all frogs are not poisonous, all toads are. So no matter what type of toad your dog eats, you have to take them to the vet because their symptoms will not get better on their own.

Keeping Your Dog Safe from Harmful Frogs

How Do I Know If My Dog Ate a Frog?

It’s a good thing if you saw your dog eating a frog with your own eyes. However, if you didn’t, but you suspect it did, then you should look for the most common symptoms of frog poisoning.

  • Foaming
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats a Frog?

As we mentioned earlier, if your dog ate a frog, the best thing you can do is take them to a veterinarian.

The vet will perform an X-ray of their stomach and if they spot any foreign objects inside it, they will figure out a way to help save your pet’s life!

So don’t wait for things to get better on their own because chances are they will likely get worse with every passing hour. 

How Can You Tell If a Frog Is Poisonous?

Unless you’re an expert on frogs, there’s really no way to tell if a frog is toxic by simply looking at it.

The way to tell if a frog is poisonous is by looking up its breed on the web or noticing the symptoms caused by it.

In case your dog accidentally swallows a non-poisonous breed of frog, they will experience only minor side effects such as gastrointestinal issues, irritation in the mouth or throat, and other symptoms that are very mild.

Eating a poisonous breed of frog, on the other hand, will lead to more serious side effects such as difficulty breathing, seizures, vomiting blood, etc. In this situation, you should rush your pet to a vet immediately.

How Long Does It Take for a Dog to Show Signs of Frog Poisoning?

Most dogs will exhibit the first signs of frog poisoning as soon as an hour after they eat it. However, in some cases, the symptoms begin within only a few minutes and sometimes it takes up to three hours.

So when you notice your dog’s first symptoms, it’s not been long since they ate a frog.

Why Do Dogs Foam at the Mouth When they Eat Frogs?

The reason dogs foam when they eat a frog is because frogs secrete toxins from their skin and these secretions cause irritation in the animal’s mouth which leads to foaming of saliva.

Now you’re probably wondering, “Do dogs always foam at the mouth when they eat a frog?”

The answer is no, not always. Sometimes, your dog might even eat a frog and experience no side effects at all or they might show signs of minor irritation in the mouth that leads to foaming saliva. However, the foaming could be so minor that it’s hardly noticeable — that kind of foaming often resolves on its own.

Conclusion: Here’s What Happens When Your Dog Eats a Frog

When your dog eats a frog, the first symptoms typically appear within an hour later, though this may vary depending on the breed of your dog and the type of frog swallowed.

If you notice any serious symptoms such as foaming, vomiting, or loss of appetite, you should take your pet to the vet immediately because serious symptoms do not subside without treatment. However, if the symptoms are mild such as minor irritation or gastrointestinal issues, then the symptoms will subside on their own soon. So there’s no need to visit the vet.


  • Nathan Collins

    Having spent years working in the landscaping industry, Nathan Collins has cultivated a wealth of knowledge about the natural world. He is committed to helping others appreciate the beauty in their backyards, whether it's through identifying rare rocks and minerals or crafting the perfect landscape.

Leave a Reply